Thursday, January 2, 2014

Buster Keaton Now With United Artists -- January 2, 2014


An ad from the 1927 Film Daily Yearbook. I wonder who took the photo.  Be sure to click on the image to see a larger version. 

Posing with a bird on his hat while wearing a dark-colored jacket just proves his courage. 

I remember sitting in my grandparents' rumpus room (theirs may have been the only San Francisco home I ever visited that had a rumpus room) when some channel showed an edited version of The General.  I loved the movie and I loved Buster and I loved the way my grandfather said he loved Buster. 

Later I managed to see some of his short films at the public library.  When I was older, I started to visit San Francisco's Avenue Theater, on San Bruno Avenue, where Bob Vaughn accompanied silent movies on the Mighty Wurlitzer every Friday night.  I usually went with my wife, who was then my fiancée.  There we saw every one of his features except Battling Butler, which I have never managed to see. 

I read his My Wonderful World of Slapstick, which I took out from the Main Library. 

1 comment:

  1. United Artists wanted a photo of him smiling.. so this is what they got haha. You can watch Battling Butler on youtube!!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on. Your message will appear after it has been reviewed.