Saturday, November 22, 2014

Mike Nichols, RIP -- November 22, 2014

www.listal.com
When I was a kid, there were radio shows dedicated to comedy.  They played a lot of Tom Lehrer and some Bill Cosby and a lot of Mike Nichols and Elaine May.  I liked their delivery, but I didn't understand a lot of their humor till I got older.  Then I learned that the team had broken up years before and that he had become a director.  She had become a writer and director too, but I didn't see any of her work till later. 

Nichols directed all sorts of movies in all sorts of genres.  I didn't understand Catch-22 till I read the Mad Magazine version.  I didn't see Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? till I was older.  I didn't understand a lot of The Graduate till I got older.  Angels in America was my favorite recent work. 

I never got to see any of the plays he directed. 

www.listal.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on. Your message will appear after it has been reviewed.