Monday, April 6, 2015

Manoel de Oliveira, RIP -- April 6, 2015

www.listal.com

I was sad to learn of the passing of Portuguese director Manoel de Oliveira.  He was 106 years old and his last film was released last year.  He and his wife were married for 75 years. 

www.listal.com
He tried to make a movie in 1927, but ran into difficulties.  His first completed movie, "Douro, Faina Fluvial," was released in 1931.  It is a portrait of Porto, his home town. 

www.listal.com

The first time I remember reading about him was when I saw a review of his 2010 movie O Estranho Caso de Angélica.  The reviewer mentioned that he was 102. 

www.listal.com

His last completed feature, O Gebo e a Sombra, came out in 2012.  He released a short, "O Velho do Restelo" in 2014. 

I am sad to say that I have not seen any of his movies.  I missed the chance to do it while he was alive.  I was happy that I got to see movies by Alfred Hitchcock, John Huston and other directors while they were still alive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on. Your message will appear after it has been reviewed.