Thursday, May 27, 2021

The Heart Line -- May 27, 2021

 

Motion Picture News, 07-May-1921

San Francisco writer, poet and prankster Gelett Burgess was born in Boston on 30-January-1866. His most famous composition was "The Purple Cow":

I never saw a purple cow
I never hope to see one;
But I can tell you, anyhow,
I'd rather see than be one!

He and his friends dumped a pro-prohibition statue into the bay. He published a literary magazine, The Lark. He wrote "The Ballad of the Hyde Street Grip." Read it or listen to it on my cable car site:
http://www.cable-car-guy.com/html/cchsg.html#top

The Heart Line was based on his 1907 novel about fraudulent spiritualists in San Francisco. I have not read the book, but many people did not like it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on. Your message will appear after it has been reviewed.