Thursday, February 23, 2023

Alexandria Theater -- San Francisco to Have Another -- February 23, 2023

Motion Picture News, 24-February-1923

The Alexandria on Geary Street was the biggest theater in my neighborhood when I was growing up. It opened in 1923. As you might guess from the name, it was built with Egyptian decor. Later it had beautiful Streamline Moderne decorations till it got split into three theaters in 1976. 

The Reid Brothers designed many theaters in San Francisco, including the Castro. 

I liked looking out my parents' back window and seeing at the neon sign. I remember seeing a Disney revival in one of the smaller rooms, the old balcony or loge, while a Star Wars movie was playing in the main auditorium. We could hear it very clearly. The theater closed in 2004 and various groups spent years trying to do something with. Now it houses an exercise studio. The owners recently dismantled the sign because they said it was unsafe.


I took the photo on 18-February-2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on. Your message will appear after it has been reviewed.