Monday, September 4, 2017

The Grapes of Wrath -- September 4, 2017

www.listal.com

John Steinbeck's novel about migrant workers fleeing the Dust Bowl, The Grapes of Wrath, was a big hit in 1939.  The next year, Darryl F Zanuck produced a movie version at 20th Century-Fox.  John Ford directed and Henry Fonda gave the greatest performance of his career.  The Joad family faced injustice and oppression, but kept moving west.  The New Deal camp was the place where they got treated like human beings.

"I'll be everywhere. Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad. I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry and they know supper's ready, and when the people are eatin' the stuff they raise and livin' in the houses they build - I'll be there, too."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on. Your message will appear after it has been reviewed.