Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Andrzej Wajda, RIP -- October 11, 2016

www.listal.com

I was sad to learn of the passing of Polish director Andrzej Wajda.  I think the first Polish movie that I ever saw was Man of Bronze at the Royal on Polk Street.  I was shocked that Wajda was allowed to shoot the film, release it, and send it to the west.  It was a strong criticism of Stalinist methods of encouraging productivity.

www.listal.com


A few years later, the Royal showed Man of Iron.  I was even more shocked.  I had been reading about martial law and the suppression of Solidarity.  This movie even gave a role to Lech Wałęsa. It showed the growth of Solidarity and the unrest at the shipyard in Gdansk. I understood when I learned that Wajda had been exiled.  I was happy he didn't get shot. 

www.listal.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on. Your message will appear after it has been reviewed.