Thursday, August 21, 2014

Grauman's Chinese #41 -- August 21, 2014


In July, 2012 we paid a return visit to Hollywood and Grauman's Chinese Theater. Sid Grauman was a San Francisco showman who came to Los Angeles and built three major houses, the Million Dollar, the Egyptian, and the Chinese. The theater has hosted many film premieres, but is most famous for the hand and footprints (and hoofprints and nose prints and other types of prints) in the forecourt.

Red Skelton played in medicine shows, showboats, stock theater, circuses, vaudeville, movies, radio, television and night clubs. I remember his television show and his pantomime routines. On 18-June-1942, Red Skelton left his hand and footprints in the forecourt. "We dood it" refers to a popular catch-phrase from his radio shows, when he played Junior, the Bad Widdle Kid. Junior would say "If I dood it, I'll get a whippin' --- I dood it."

 
Next month will be the last entry in this series.  I think I'll start over again because until I moved to this new site, I didn't include other photos, like this poster with Red Skelton and Ann Rutherford. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on. Your message will appear after it has been reviewed.