Sunday, January 1, 2023

Nine Years -- January 1, 2023

listal.com

2022 was an interesting year. In January, I started teaching coding to Kindergarten through Fourth Grade. COVID-19 carried on.

In 2022, I participated in one blogathon:

Moving Picture World, 10-September-1921

The Eighth Annual Buster Keaton Blogathon:
https://silentology.wordpress.com/2022/03/14/the-eighth-annual-buster-keaton-blogathon/

My post:
Buster Keaton's Silent Shorts -- Reel Two:
https://bigvriotsquad.blogspot.com/2022/03/buster-keatons-silent-shorts-reel-two.html

Motion Picture News, 27-January-1917

In January, Russia moved masses of troops to the borders of Ukraine. 

I had appendicitis. 

I wrote about the 100th anniversaries of the collapse of the roof of the Knickerbocker Theater in Washington, DC and the appointment of Will H Hays as chairman of the new Motion Picture Producers and Distributors of America.

I noted what would have been the 150th birthdays of Marion Davies, Pola Negri and Zane Grey, the 100th birthday of Sheldon Leonard and the 75th birthday of David Bowie. 

I wrote about the passing of Sidney Poitier, Betty White, Peter Bogdanovich, Yvette Mimieux and Bob Saget. 

Motography, 12-April-1913

In February, I posted an item about the Russian invasion of Ukraine. 

I noted the Lunar New Year, the Year of the Tiger.

I posted about International Polar Bear Day. 

I wrote about the 100th anniversary of the still-unsolved murder of director William Desmond Taylor. I posted an ad for an appearance by Anna Pavlova in Arizona. I posted an item about the Four Marx Brothers, who would one day become movie stars. I wrote about a 1922 production of Booth Tarkington's 1919 novel The Magnificent Ambersons

I wrote about what would have been Thomas Edison's 175th birthday. I noted the 100th birthday of Patrick Macnee. 

I wrote about the death of Sally Kellerman. 

Moving Picture World, 25-March-1922

In March, the Ukrainians continued to stand up to the Russian invaders. In the past, I would have assumed that some of the stories of Russian atrocities were propaganda, but there are many videos and other pieces of evidence.

Congress passed the Emmett Till Anti-Lynching Act and President Joe Biden signed it.

I wrote about the 100th anniversary of the release of what may have been the first film directed by Frank Capra.

For International Women's Day, I wrote about actress, screenwriter, producer and director Dorothy Davenport.

I noted the 175th anniversary of Alexander Graham Bell's birth, the 125th anniversary of Betty Compson's birth and the 100th anniversary of Pier Paolo Pasolini and Carl Reiner's births. I wrote about Rob Reiner, Elton John and Glen Close's 75th birthdays.

I noted the 100th anniversary of the death of comedian Bert Williams. I wrote about the death of actor William Hurt.


Moving Picture World, 01-April-1922

In April the Russians continued to lose personnel and material in Ukraine.

I wrote about the 100th anniversary of the release of Rin-Rin-Tin's first film. I wrote about the 100th anniversary of Roscoe Arbuckle's second trial being declared a mistrial. Showing his films continued to be banned.

I wrote about the 100th anniversary of the births of Doris Day and Jack Klugman. I noted actress Lois Chiles and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's 75th birthdays.

I noted the deaths of actor Nehemiah Persoff and comedian Gilbert Gottfried.

San Francisco Call, 04-May-1897

In May I wrote about the 125th anniversary of the terrible Paris Charity Bazaar Fire.

The Ukrainians continued to hold out against the Russian invasion.

I wrote about the 125th anniversary of the first publication of Bram Stoker's Dracula

I wrote about the 100th anniversary of the release of Robert Flaherty's Nanook of the North.
 
I wrote about the 125th anniversary of Frank Capra's birth and Christopher Lee's 100th birthday.

I wrote about the deaths of Ray Liotta and Neal Adams.

Film Daily, 20-June-1922

In June I wrote about the beginning of the long process to produce the movie, Ben Hur.
I wrote about the celebration of Queen Elizabeth II's platinum jubilee.

I wrote about the Disney Brothers starting their first company. 

I started a new series on developments in natural color and sound films. I went on to post about new technologies, like 3-D. 

I posted two items about Roscoe Arbuckle going abroad to work. It didn't happen. 

I wrote about what would have been the 100th birthdays of Judy Garland and Jake LaMotta. They were born on the same day. I wrote about the 75th birthday of Candy Clark.  

I noted the 100th anniversary of the opening of San Francisco's Loew's Warfield Theater. 

Moving Picture World, 22-July-1922

In July I wrote about the records being set by Harold Lloyd's first full-length feature, Grandma's Boy.

I wrote about the 125th anniversary of the start of the Yukon Gold Rush.

I wrote about the 100th anniversary of the first movie released by FBO. 

I wrote about the 125th anniversaries of the births of John Gilbert and Amelia Earhart. I wrote about the 100th anniversaries of the births of Blake Edwards and Norman Lear. I wrote about the 75th birthday of Shelley Hack, 

I noted the 100th anniversary of the death of child star Bobby Connely. I wrote about the 25th anniversary of the death of Robert Mitchum. I wrote about the deaths of Nichelle Nichols, James Caan, Bob Rafelson, Taurean Blacque, David Warner, Tony Dow, Tony Sirico, Paul Sorvino and Larry Storch. 

Blackhawk Bulletin 287, June-July 1977

In August, I found a site that hosts copies of the Blackhawk Bulletin. I will be using that for my home movie posts for a while.

I wrote about the 125th anniversary of Thomas Edison getting a patent for a camera that could capture motion. 

I noted the 100th anniversary of the murder of Irish patriot Michael Collins.

I wrote about the 125th anniversary of the birth of actor Frederick March. 

Actresses Barbara Bach and Cindy Williams turned 75. 

Vin Scully, David McCullough, Alain Robbe-Grillet and Clu Gulager died. Until I saw a recent documentary on TCM, I thought his family name was Gallagher. 

Moving Picture World, 02-September-1922

In September, I wrote about the 100th anniversary of San Francisco's historic Castro Theater, which has been in the news lately.

I wrote about the 100th anniversary of the publication of F Scott Fitzgerald's second collection of short stories, Tales of the Jazz Age.

I wrote about what would have been Yvonne de Carlo, Janis Paige, Jackie Cooper and Sid Caesar's 100th birthdays. Jane Curtain, Cheryl Tiegs and Stephen King turned 75.

Queen Elizabeth II died. She was the longest-lived and longest-reigning British monarch. I'm not a fan of monarchy, but I don't see how anyone could have done a better job than she did. She led a life of service.

Marsha Hunt, Irene Papas. Henry Silva and Jean-Luc Godard died.

I wrote about the 75th anniversary of Harry Carey's death.

Motion Picture News, 14-October-1922

In October, I wrote about Harold Lloyd's Grandma's Boy setting records by running 19 weeks at some theaters.

100 years ago, William S Hart was seriously ill with typhoid fever. Roscoe Arbuckle asked Will Hays to lift the ban on his movies. Hays did not.

I wrote about the 175th anniversary of the publication of Charlotte Brontë's novel, Jane Eyre.

I wrote about the 100th anniversary of Ruby Dee and Colleen Gray's births. Kevin Kline and Michael McKean turned 75.

I wrote about the 50th anniversary of the death of Jackie Robinson.

Angela Lansbury and Robbie Coltrane died.

Moving Picture World, 11-November-1922



In November, I spent a week in the Kaiser Hospital in Santa Clara. I have had shortness of breath with strong exertion for a while. In April I also developed a violent cough. Doctors assumed both problems were lung related. I don't know how many chest x-rays I have had this year. It took until about September to figure out that the problem was caused by a leaky mitral valve.

I had an internal sonogram to give them a better view of my heart. They did two cardiac catheterizations to get the lay of the land and see if the valve could be repaired, or if it would have to be replaced. Then in November, they repaired the valve.

I decided to take break, perhaps until the end of the year. I am still gradually improving. I have been frustrated because I could not start teaching in the new school year.

I wrote about the 100th anniversary of the film adaption of F Scott Fitzgerald's second novel, The Beautiful and Damned

I wrote about the 100th anniversary of the Universal Film Manufacturing Company changing its name to the Universal Pictures Corporation.



During December I continued to recuperate from my operation. I don't heal as quickly as I used to, but the cardiologist said I am progressing well. I am continuing my break. 

My Uncle Sonny died. He was a real character. He worked as a waiter at the Fly Trap, where his father was chef and partner, then at Westlake Joe's for many years. He was always running into old customers who missed him greatly. Westlake Joe's was always his favorite place to eat. He had a big heart and a bad temper. Jack Daniels stock is likely to lose value. 

During my break, I missed several important anniversaries, including the 100th anniversary of the birth of Charles Schultz and the 75th anniversary of the birth of playwright David Mamet. I missed Terri Garr's 75th birthday. I missed the deaths of Stuart Margolin,

At the top of the page, we see Gloria DeHaven, who acted and sang in many movies and television shows. She made her debut in Charlie Chaplin's Modern Times. Her parents, Carter and Flora Parker DeHaven were vaudeville performers. They appeared in many silent comedies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on. Your message will appear after it has been reviewed.