Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Lon Chaney -- A Desperate Youth Signs a Blind Bargain With a Mad Genius of Surgery -- August 17, 2022

Moving Picture World, 05-August-1922

I first learned about A Blind Bargain, also called The Octave of Claudius, when Famous Monsters of Filmland ran a Lon Chaney filmography. I thought both titles sounded interesting, but I couldn't find anything about the movie. Now I know that Lon Chaney played a dual role, as a mad scientist and as a hunchback created by one of the doctor's experiments. The film is probably lost.

Motion Picture News, 19-August-1922


Meanwhile Universal was preparing to release one of Chaney's most famous films, The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I remember from another Famous Monsters of Filmland that this was not the first adaption of Victor Hugo's Notre-Dame de Paris, but the fifth. One starred Theda Bara.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on. Your message will appear after it has been reviewed.