Friday, October 2, 2015

Groucho Marx 125 -- October 2, 2015

New Movie, November, 1930
Happy birthday to Groucho Marx, who was born 125 years ago today, on 02-October-1890.  One of my earliest memories is of sitting in the living room of my parents' apartment, which we left when I was 3, and seeing an animated version of Groucho's face.  I don't know if it was part of a commercial break during a movie, or part of a rerun of You Bet Your Life.  Later I watched his movies whenever I could.  I read a couple of his books from the Anza Branch Library. 

Please excuse the racism in the carton above, which was inspired by the first scene of Animal Crackers

Tacoma Times, 19-August-1911
Groucho and his brothers spent many years learning their trade in vaudeville.  This show in Tacoma must have included Groucho, Harpo and Chico.  I don't if Gummo had joined the act yet.  Gummo left the act to serve in World War One and was replaced by Zeppo. 

Motion Picture Classic, October, 1924
After vaudeville, the brothers played on Broadway in a revue called I'll Say She Is.  The three on the left are supposed to be Chico, Groucho and Harpo.  The other guy is "Beppo," meant to be Zeppo.  The list of stage and real names is out of order.



My parents bought me a two-record album that Groucho recorded live.  I memorized most of the stories he told. 

1 comment:

Comment moderation is turned on. Your message will appear after it has been reviewed.