Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Jim Garner, RIP -- July 22, 2014


I was sad to hear that James Garner had died.  I knew who he was before 1971, but I had never seen Maverick.  I must have seen some of his movies on television. 

I read in the San Francisco Chronicle that he was going to appear in a modern western called Nichols.  The review was enthusiastic.  I watched it and enjoyed his non-violent, funny approach.  I was sorry that the show did not last for long. 

Later, my friends and I all enjoyed The Rockford Files.  I watched more of his movies. 

Eventually, I saw reruns of Maverick and saw why people liked it. 

Even though he often played shifty men, Garner always seemed honest, especially in interview. 

He was a Korean War combat veteran, who was wounded twice. 

The image of Garner and the poster for Sunset are from www.listal.comSunset was an odd movie, where Bruce Willis played Tom Mix and Garner played Wyatt Earp.  It could have been much better.  Bruce Willis looked nothing like Tom Mix , but displayed some of his charisma.  Jim Garner looked nothing like Wyatt Earp, but displayed some of his poise and threat. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on. Your message will appear after it has been reviewed.