Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Ella Fitzgerald 100 -- April 25, 2017

www.listal.com

Ella Fitzgerald, the First Lady of Song, was born 100 years ago today, 25-April-1917.  I grew up hearing her sing on the radio and television.  When I had enough money to buy albums, I bought her American Songbooks.

We saw her in person once, at the Marin Civic Center.  I don't remember what songs she sang, but I remember her trading licks with Joe Pass.


She did not appear in many movies.  Her first, in 1942, was Ride 'em Cowboy with Abbott and Costello.  She sang "A Tisket A Tasket" and "Cow Cow Boogie."



She next appeared in a movie, Pete Kelly's Blues, in 1955.  Jack Webb directed and starred.

In 1958, she played a small part in Saint Louis Blues, a biopic about WC Handy. 

I don't know how big a part she played in Let No Man Write My Epitaph from 1960. 

2 comments:

Comment moderation is turned on. Your message will appear after it has been reviewed.