Friday, January 1, 2021

Seven Years -- January 1, 2021

 

www.listal.com

2020 was a tough year. 

In 2020, I participated in one blogathon:

Indiana Daily Times, November 6, 1920

The Sixth Annual Buster Keaton Blogathon:
https://silentology.wordpress.com/2020/03/09/the-sixth-annual-buster-keaton-blogathon/

My post:
Buster Keaton’s First Feature, The Saphead
http://bigvriotsquad.blogspot.com/2020/03/buster-keatons-first-feature-saphead.html

Seattle Star, 15-January-1920

After our so-called president was impeached at the end of 2019, the Republican controlled Senate staged a farcical trial in January and February and acquitted him.  Mitt Romney was the only Republican to vote for conviction. 

In  January, we saw that the new year in the lunar calendar was the Year of the Rat.

I wrote about the 125th birthday of comedian Raymond Griffith. I wrote about the `100th birthdays of DeForest Kelley and Federico Fellini, who were born on the same day. 

Buck Henry died, as did Terry Jones and Jim Lehrer.  

Indiana Daily Times, 21-February-1920

In February I wrote about the dangerous jerry collonavirus. 

I wrote about the 125th birthday of Anita Stewart. 

Kirk Douglas died at 103. Robert Conrad and Orson Bean died. 

I like the image of director Erich von Stroheim. 

Motion Picture News, 27-March-1920

In March, the TrumpVirus shut down movie theater, restaurants, bars and all other businesses considered to be non-critical. 

I noted the 125th birthday of Shemp Howard and the 100th birthday of James Doohan. 

Max von Sydow, Stuart Whitman and Lyle Waggoner died. Trickster Mal Sharpe died. 

lucywho.com

In April, San Francisco planned to celebrate the 150th birthday of Golden Gate Park, but had to scrap its plans because of the TrumpVirus.

I noted the 100th birthday of Toshiro Mifune. 

I wrote about the 100th anniversary of the death of actress Clarine Seymour. 

Honor Blackman died, as did Mort Drucker, August Wilson and Brian Dennehy. 

listal.com

In May, I wrote about the 150th anniversary of the Golden Spike ceremony. 

I wrote about the 125th birthday of one of my heroes, Fred Allen. 

Peter Mayhew died, as did Peggy Lipton, Doris Day, Tim Conway and Machiko Kyo. 

www.listal.com

In June, COVID-19 deaths and infections were skyrocketing in the United States. 

I wrote about William Boyd and Louise Fazenda's 125th birthdays. I mentioned Ray Harryhausen, Paul Frees and Ian Carmichael's 100th birthdays. I wrote about Adrienne Barbeau's 75 birthday. 

I wrote about the 150th anniversary of Charles Dickens' death. 

Joel Schumacher died. 

www.listal.com

In July, actress Olivia de Havilland died at 104. American treasure Carl Reiner also died, as did composer Ennio Morricone. 

I started a new series with poor Virginia Rappe. 

I noted Gracie Allen and Ken Maynard's 125th birthdays, Yul Brynner's 100th birthday and Helen Mirren's 75th birthday. 

I wrote about the 75th anniversary of Alla Nazimova's death. 

KTVU

In August, Bob March died. He played Captain Satellite on KTVU-Channel 2. 

I wrote more about movies made from F Scott Fitzgerald short stories. 

I wrote about Bert Lahr's 125th birthday. I noted the 100th birthdays of Charlie Parker, Maureen O'Hara, Shelley Winters, Ray Bradbury and Ella Raines. 

Steve Martin and Wim Wenders celebrated their 75th birthdays on the same day. 

Actor Chadwick Boseman died far too young. Wilford Brimley died. I mentioned the 100th anniversary of the death of Omer Locklear. 

Motion Picture News, 25-September-1920

September was an exciting month. Because of the TrumpVirus, the Niles Essanay Film Museum held an online film festival. The San Francisco History Fair was mostly online.  

I wrote another item about movies made from F Scott Fitzgerald's short stories. 

I noted the 100th anniversary of the deaths of Bobby Harron and Olive Thomas. 

I noted what would have been Paul Muni's 125th birthday. I wrote about what would have been Mickey Rooney, William Conrad and Richard Farnsworth's 100 birthdays. 

Diana Rigg and Michael Lonsdale died. 

Motion Picture News, 02-October-1920

In October, we rushed towards the conclusion of a long election. 

I wrote about the 125th birthdays of Buster Keaton, Edna Purviance and Evelyn Brent. I noted the 100th birthdays of Larraine Day, Mario Puzo, Montgomery Clift, Melina Mercouri, and Walter Matthau. I wrote about the 75th birthdays of John Lithgow and Jaclyn Smith. 

Sean Connery, James Randi and Rhonda Fleming died. 

listal.com

In November, Alex Trebek, the host of Jeopardy, died. Later in the month, coincidentally, I passed the third stage of the audition to be on Jeopardy.

Joe Biden and Kamala Harris won the presidential election. Many Republican dead-enders tried to overturn the results in court, alleging massive fraud but producing no proof. 

I wrote about the 125th birthday of Busby Berkeley. I noted the 100th birthdays of Jack Elam, Gene Tierney, Noel Neill, Virginia Mayo and Ralph Meeker. I wrote the 75th birthday of Goldie Hawn, 

Vampirella 51, 1976

In December I started a new series of ads for 8mm and Super8 films. I used to see the ads in the back pages of Warren magazines, but I never had the money to buy one. 

I wrote about the 125th anniversary of commercial cinema, when the Lumière Brothers showed their movies to a paying audience. 

I wrote about Frances Gifford's 100th birthday and Bette Midler's 75th.

I wrote about the deaths of John le Carré, Pamela Tiffin and David Lander. Dawn Wells died of the TrumpVirus. Director Joan Miklin Silver died on 31-December-2020, so I did not get to write about her. 

Beautiful Yvonne De Carlo acted, sang and danced in many Hollywood movies. I first saw her on The Munsters


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on. Your message will appear after it has been reviewed.