Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Christmas Books -- December 29, 2015

I was lucky to receive three movie-related books for Christmas.  The heavyweight champ (15.4 pounds, according to Amazon), is The Charlie Chaplin Archives, edited by Paul Duncan, a selection of items from the actual Chaplin Archives including photos, stills, scripts and memos.  I'm looking forward to it. 



The smallest book (5"x7") is 100 Silent Films by Bryony Dixon.  When I was a young film fan, I enjoyed books like this, which would try to identify a list of films that people should see.  Sometimes they tried to identify the best movies, or silent movies.  I think that is an exercise in uselessness.  This book has an alphabetical list of 100 movies, devoting 2 or three pages to each.  I have skipped around a bit and enjoyed what I have read. 


The longest title was Distressed Damsels and Masked Maruaders/Cliffhanger Serials of the Silent-Movie Era by Ed Hulse.  I have so far only had an opportunity to glance through it, but it should be fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on. Your message will appear after it has been reviewed.