Friday, May 9, 2014

Flash Gordon -- May 9, 2014


One of my favorite movie serials was Universal's 1936 Flash Gordon.  Olympic swimming champion Buster Crabbe was heroic and athletic as Flash Gordon, Jean Rogers was very appealing as Dale Arden, Frank Shannon was crazed as Doctor Zarkov, Charles Middleton was scary as Ming the Merciless and Priscilla Lawson was also appealing as Princess Aura.  The special effects, especially the rocket ships which banged and shot sparks, were funny but sincere.  The costumes were interesting. 

I think I first saw it on Creature Features, a Saturday night horror show on KTVU Channel 2.  Later I saw it on Captain Cosmos, an afternoon science fiction show on the same channel.  I think TCM also showed it.  I need to get it on DVD. 

There were sequels, but this one was the best. 

The ad is from the 21-March-1936 Universal Weekly.  Be sure to click on the image to see a larger version.

2 comments:

  1. For my recent research into the life of Priscilla Lawson: https://priscillalawson.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ray. That is some neat stuff. Thank you for pointing it out. I have to look at your other research blogs as well.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on. Your message will appear after it has been reviewed.