Thursday, February 13, 2014

Shirley Temple and Sid Caesar, RIP -- February 13, 2014


Shirley Temple started acting in movies when she was three.  Many people say that she gave them hope during the Great Depression.   I like her work for Fox, and her work when she got older.  I always cry during Since You Went Away.  She didn't help Graham Greene's career as a film critic.  The photo of Shirley Temple, Claudette Colbert and Jennifer Jones is from the wonderful site LucyWho (http://www.lucywho.com).

After she retired from the movies, she married a PG&E executive and went into politics, although she lost her one run for Congress.  She served as a UN representative and was ambassador to Ghana and Czechoslovakia. She died at her home in Woodside, down the peninsula from San Francisco.



When I was young I knew Sid Caesar from It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.  Later, I read about then saw Ten From Your Show of Shows, a collection of kinescopes from his great television show.  I enjoyed it.  I began to learn about all the famous people who had written for the show, like Carl Reiner, Mel Brooks, and Mel Tolkin.  He burned out from the pressure of live television and wasn't seen much while I was growing up.  When Caesar became sober, I saw him in more movies, like Silent Movie.  The photo of Sid Caesar and frequent co-star Imogene Coca is also from the wonderful site LucyWho (http://www.lucywho.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on. Your message will appear after it has been reviewed.