Saturday, April 4, 2020

Golden Gate Park 150 -- April 4, 2020


The City of San Francisco had planned to have a big celebration today for the 150th birthday of Golden Gate Park.  It will be rescheduled because of the pandemic.

I don't know the date of the park's actual birthday.  I grew up a couple of blocks uphill from the park.  I spent a lot of time there with my family, my friends and on my own.  I never completed my project to walk around the perimeter of the whole park.

In 1915, while Charlie Chaplin was making movies for Essanay across the bay in Niles, his team shot most of the second half of "A Jitney Elopement" in the western end of Golden Gate Park and along the Great Highway.  Here we see the Dutch windmill in operation.


The official website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on. Your message will appear after it has been reviewed.