Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Five Years -- January 1, 2019

www.listal.com
I launched this blog five years ago today, on 01-January-2014. I split it from my other blog, The Pneumatic Rolling-Sphere Carrier Delusion.

In 2018, I participated in one blogathon and one webchallenge:

www.listal.com
Buster Keaton Goes to War
https://bigvriotsquad.blogspot.com/2018/02/buster-keaton-goes-to-war-february-12.html

Springtime Silent Movie Challenge
In the Beginning...
http://moviessilently.com/2018/03/27/springtime-silent-movie-challenge-in-the-beginning/



Moving Picture World, 05-January-1918
In January, I started a series of posts about the 100th anniversary of the release of the first Tarzan movie.  I wrote about Tom Mix at Fox. I started a series about Harry Carey.  I started a short series about Essanay rereleasing Broncho Billy's movies.

I wrote about the 50th anniversary of the recording of Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison. I wrote about the 125th birthdays of Ivor Novello and Conrad Veidt.  I wrote about the 75th birthday of Sharon Tate.

Actress Dorothy Malone died.

Seattle Star, 15-February-1918
In February, I wrote about the 100th anniversary of the wartime death of dancer Vernon Castle.  This was very popular on Facebook.  I wrote about a golf tournament that Larry Semon participated in while he was still a newspaper cartoonist.  In honor of the beginning of the Lunar New Year, the Year of the Dog, I posted an image of Strongheart.  On the day of the Chinese New Year parade, I posted an image of Rin-Tin-Tin.

I wrote about what may have been the 125th anniversary of Edison's Black Maria.  I wrote about the 100th anniversary of Charlie Chaplin starting production on his first film for First National.

I wrote about the 100th birthday of actress, writer and director Ida Lupino.  I wrote about the 75th birthday of actress Blythe Danner.  I wrote about the 75th anniversary of the death of directory Woody Van Dyke.

Silent film actress Lassie Lou Ahern died. Actress Nanette Fabray died, but I did not write about her.

Actor David Ogden Stiers, who had a great voice, died in March, but I did not write about him.


In March, I started news series on cowboy stars Broncho Billy Anderson and William S Hart.

I wrote about the 150th birthday of writer Booth Tarkington.  I wrote about the 100th birthday of writer Mickey Spillane. I wrote about the 75th birthday of Monty Python's Eric Idle.

I wrote about the 50th anniversary of the death of pioneering director Alice Guy-Blaché.

Rock Island Argus, 27-April-1918
In April, I started work on the Springtime Silent Movie Challenge: In the Beginning...  I wrote one entry every Saturday until mid-June.

We marked the 100th anniversary of the release of Charlie Chaplin's first film for First National. We marked the 100th anniversary of the release of the first Tarzan movie with a short series.  I wrote a little bit about the Ebony Film Corporation.

We marked what would have been Spike Milligan's 100th birthday.  Anne Shirley and William Holden would have turned 100 on the same day.

Animator Isao Takahata and director Miloš Forman died.  Magician and comedian Harry Anderson died.

www.listal.com
In May, we marked the 100th anniversary of the birth of actress Patricia Ellis.  Chaplin's Keystones, Essanays, Mutuals and First Nationals were all in release or rerelease.

Monty Python member Michael Palin turned 75.

In May, we marked the 100th anniversary of the death of Army pilot S Rankin Drew, the son of Sidney Drew.  

Actress Margot Kidder died.

Moving Picture World, 15-June-1918
In June, I finished the Grauman's Chinese series until the next time we go.

We celebrated the 75th birthday of actor Malcom McDowell.

We marked the 75th anniversary of the death of actor Leslie Howard.

Motion Picture News, 20-July-1918
In July, I posted about Big V comedies, the namesake of this blog.  I started a series on war films.  I posted about the release of Winsor McKay's animated documentary, "The Sinking of the Lusitania."  I started a new series on Fox-Lehrman Sunshine Comedies.  I continued my irregular series on Ebony Comedies.  I started a new series on Mary Miles Minter.

We marked the 100th birthdays of Ingmar Bergman and Edward Herrmann.

Moving Picture World, 24-August-1918
In August, I started a series about The Yellow Dog.

I wrote about James O'Neill, who spent many years playing The Count of Monte Cristo.

Actress Mary Carlisle died at 104.  Playwright Neil Simon died.

We marked the 100th birthday of director Robert Aldrich.  On the same day, we marked the 125th birthday of Mae West, the 100th birthday of Evelyn Ankers and the 75th birthday of Robert De Niro.  We marked the 75th birthday of Tuesday Weld.  

Scientific American, 02-September-1916
In September and October we went through a hellish process which wound up installing a deeply unworthy person on the Supreme Court. He and his buddies reminded me of the people who used to pick on me in school.

In September I posted a 1916 article, "Artisans of the Motion Picture Films." I continued my series about The Yellow Dog.

Actress Gloria Jean died.  Actor Burt Reynolds died.

In September, we celebrated the 75th birthday of actress Valerie Perrine.

www.listal.com
100 years ago in October, World War One was rushing to a climax.  We marked the 100th anniversary of Alvin C York's remarkable feat.  We also marked the 100th anniversary of the release of Charlie Chaplin's second film for First National release, "Shoulder Arms."  I started a new series on the serial Wolves of Kultur.  I started a new series on the so-called Spanish Influenza pandemic.

We marked the 125th birthdays of Lillian Gish and Gummo Marx.  Those are two names I never thought I would type in one sentence.  We observed the 100th birthdays of Robert Walker, Teresa Wright and Rita Hayworth.  We celebrated the 75th birthday of Catherine Deneuve.  We also covered the 100th birthday of Baby Peggy Montgomery, who is still with us.

Moving Picture World, 21-December-1918
In November, I observed the 100th anniversary of Armistice Day.  In November, 1918, news of Charlie Chaplin's marriage to Mildred Harris became public.  I started a new series on Mabel Normand.  I wrote about the 100th birthday of the opening of the Coliseum Theater in my old neighborhood.  The opening was delayed by the influenza pandemic.  I started a new series on Harry Houdini's movie career.

In November we marked the 150th birthday of Marie Dressler.  We observed the 100th birthday of Art Carney.  We noted the 75th birthdays of Sam Shepard and Lauren Hutton.

Stan Lee and directors Nicolas Roeg and Bernardo Bertolucci died.

Moving Picture World, 23-December-1918
In December, I wrote about a movie starring a member of the Lafayette Escadrille.  Helen Keller visited Charlie Chaplin.

I noted the 25th anniversary of the death of Don Ameche.

Actress Sondra Locke died.  Director and actress Penny Marshall died.  Sister Wendy Beckett died.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on. Your message will appear after it has been reviewed.